Classroom Instagram

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mayan Weaving: 4th Grade



















 4th grade made these wonderful weavings for the art show! We explored the weavings of Guatemala and Mexico through a book, Abeula's weave. We talked about color symbolism an how different areas, have different colors and symbols woven into their clothing. Students then brainstormed and choose colors important to them to use in their weavings. After planning out their patterns and colors, students got to work creating these gorgeous tapestries.


During open house, I displayed man of my instruction materials around my classroom.  For many of my large lessons, and ones I like to keep from year to year, I create boards like the one above that is brought out each class as a reminder of what we are learning about  and what students must have in their artwork by the time they hand it in.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you tied the history lesson with the art project.
    Beautiful weavings.

    ReplyDelete