Classroom Instagram

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Geometric vs. Organic

IMG_2673 IMG_2672 It's Geometric vs. Organic Shapes here in 1st grade! Well discovering these different categories of shapes we learned about two different artists. Piet Mondrian and Henri Matisse. We discovered that Mondrian loved using the Primary colors: Red, Blue and Yellow, while Matisse used both Primary and Secondary colors! Mondrian used geometric shapes while Matisse used organic! However, both loved listening to jazz music while creating their artwork. In fact, Mondrian named one of his paintings Broadway Boogie Woogie! So of course we had to listen to some boogie woogie and jazz while creating ours!
IMG_2678 IMG_2679 IMG_2677 IMG_2674 IMG_2675 IMG_2676 IMG_2669

2 comments:

  1. SImultaneously simple, effective, and fun! I find I have the best time with the kiddos when my lessons embody those three qualities. I am going to Broadway Boogie Woogie up to Buffalo this weekend to see my darling for our birthdays! I can't wait. The city looks so beautiful in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They loved it! I think the simple quality lessened their anxiety about art (I have some perfectionists in 1st grade). Hopefully there will be some leaves on the trees! The wind from Sandy has taken down quite a bit.

      Delete